International Students


How can I study at the Max Weber Institute for Sociology as an international student?
What do I have to take into account concerning the application an admission process?

You can either join our institute as a regular student for an entire course of studies or as a short-term student. The latter is only possible if you are already enrolled for sociology or a similar course of studies at your home university. Short-term stays can be arranged as part of an exchange program such as, e.g., ERASMUS but also independently.

Information concerning the application procedure and admission process is provided on the website of the Department of International Relations. You will also find more general information for prospective international students there, including a student's guide for exchange students.

Please direct questions concerning certificates, forms, applications, immatriculation, language courses, accommodation, etc. to the International Relations Department

Contact for Student Issues:

Seminarstrasse 2
Room 36
69117 Heidelberg
Tel.: +49 6221 54-5454

If you have subject-specific questions or wish to plan your studies at MWI and conclude a Learning Agreement, please contact:

Aleksandra Barjaktarevic, M.A.
(ERASMUS coordinator)

Max-Weber-Institut für Soziologie
Bergheimer Str. 58
Room 02.020
69115 Heidelberg

In order to be admitted, you need to provide proof of German language skills and university entrance qualifications. If you want to apply for a Master's degree, you also need a BA in Sociology or Social Sciences with a degree of "good" (or higher). It is the Department of International Relations which will decide on whether you fulfill these requirements or not.

In case you are hoping to join our institute as an ERASMUS exchange student, you have to apply directly to your home university's departmental coordinator, provided an established partnership between your department and the MWI exists. You will find further information concerning an ERASMUS stay here.

Which final degrees can I acquire?

If you want to join the MWI for an entire course of studies, you can either apply for a Bachelor or a Master’s course in sociology.

More detailed information can be found in the section Studies for the BA course and the MA course.

What is the curriculum and structure of the sociology courses in Heidelberg?

Information concerning the structure and curriculum of our study courses can be found here for the BA course and here for the MA course.

An overview of the current lectures and seminars as well as more detailed information concerning every course is provided by the university's information system heiCO.