Stefan Beljean, PhD
Max-Weber-Institut of Sociology
University of Heidelberg
Bergheimer Str. 58
Campus-Kick "Bergheim Bolzt"
I am a postdoc at the Max Weber Institute for Sociology since March 2021 (Chair of Macrosociology). Before arriving in Heidelberg, I earned my PhD from the Department of Sociology at Harvard University and spent a short time at the Berlin Social Science Center.
Research and teaching interests
- Cultural sociology
- Qualitative methods
- 2021 Hamann, Julian, and Stefan Beljean. “Career Gatekeeping in Cultural Fields.” American Journal for Cultural Sociology. 9(1), 43-69.
- 2015 Stefan Beljean, Michele Lamont and Phillipa Chong. “A Post-Bourdieusian Sociology of Valuation and Evaluation for the Field of Cultural Production”. Pp. 38-48 in: Routledge International Handbook of the Sociology of Art and Culture. New York: Routledge.
- 2014 Lamont, Michele, Stefan Beljean and Matthew Clair ‘What’s Missing? Cultural Processes and Causal Pathways to Inequality.’ Socio-Economic Review 12 (3): 1-36.
Current courses (SoSe 2023)
Past Course (Selection)
- "The Political Sociology of Football" (w/ Lukas Pfäffle): Seminar-Blog
- "Knowledge, Beliefs, Doubts. An Introduction to the Sociology of Knowledge": Course description